Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Creative Piece

Authors Note
Writing this creative short story was by far the greatest assignment I feel I've been given, personally. Being able to deeply explain my emotions and attempt to incorporate some of the writing techniques we have learned so far, I felt I could write a very personal story (from my past, of course), while fully and truly expressing everything I have had built up inside.

My body sprawled out onto my stomach; my wilted limbs crashed against the ice cold bathroom floor in the basement of a boy whose last name I could not recall. The stench of the air within that jail cell that I could not escape did not compare to that of on my shirt, my hair, and my hands that were covered in a color I could not make out; red maybe? Though my body found difficulty obeying the commands my brain had sent, my thoughts had stayed in the same place that had begun that night; unable to move a single muscle, in a helpless state of desperation, my conscious attacked my essentially innocent mind until the room stopped spinning and the blurred colors turned black.
---
            My home resembles a prison. A number of statues stroll from room to room, blank expressions drawn across their mouths; their presence not only undesirable, but unnoticeable at times. A shiver trickles down my spine and shoots back chills throughout my body. Nothing is missing but something is not where it needs to be. A slam of my door allots for me hours of silence- enunciating not that I have anyplace better to be, but that I would rather be any place but here. My fingers click-clack across the keyboard until they bleed. My ears bizz-buzz, ringing from music I do not like to listen to- but everyone else does, so I listen. My eyes zig-zag, scanning the computer screen, faster and faster; then slower and slower, until the figures start to morph; then blur; then fade.
Five of us are together- Friday night, just waiting, waiting for something to happen. One hum of a cell phone and we felt our lives start down a new path, toward somewhere none of us knew. All hell broke loose. Flashes of different colors flew past my eyes; the clink and clatter of brushes and hairspray bottles irritated my ears- still exulting in a sense of excitement. Hot tears welled in my eyes as the assortment of scents emanated their fumes into my system, initiating a head ache that I so desperately attempted to ignore. My head was already spinning in circles imagining where it is we were going, what it was going to be like, what was going to happen…
            Gravel stones bolted at the tires like darts under my feet in slow motion for what felt like hours but with the blink of an eye the car door crashed like a grenade in the desert. People were everywhere: singing, screaming, shoving. The older kids made jokes toward us, doubting us. Before I could remember putting even a single cup toward my lips I opened my eyes face down on the floor; my head spinning and my body shaking. My stomach made a curdling noise so unsettling there was no way it came come from a human being. My face absorbed water like a sponge, as my head lifted from the floor- I could only picture my body, dead as one could be while still alive, searching for breaths through the pool of my own tears. My heart and my head were back wherever I could feel safe- in that moment my thoughts were back in my home. My home of solitude and silence, with the strolling statues- their oblivion toward me provided still more comfort than the level of acceptance I felt here. Cold, queasy feelings of disappointment flush my insides with a poison that will make me feel worse than I did in this moment; my mind was lost.
            My head may have been in the clouds, or glued to the ground, but my mind slowly floated back into place. While I myself knew in this moment of clarity what must be done, my still somewhat twisted mind could not wrap it’s conscious around the concept that people could live lives like these and not feel this sickness, this guilt, this pain, everyday. Something snapped in me this night and it was not the toxic inside causing damage, but a snap back to actuality and where my capabilities truly lie. My stomach squeezes again. But I am feeling a sensation of guilt- and want not to live yet a life like this. In one night living my life, I lived it all. My mind, with no exceptions, had modified itself. Never again will I feel knives slicing at my spleen like the slash of a tire. Never again will I suffer again the way I am right now: squirming, uneasy, vulnerable- like a fish out of water. Never again will I ever lie helplessly on the floor watching my life and opportunities be flushed in front of my eyes. My stomach seemed hollow as a log, for everything once inside pooled in a bowl inches before my face. This is not the person I came to this earth to be; there has to be a more something more. I am better than this; I am stronger than this…
---
            A shudder of comfort and discomfort quivered through my stomach. Tossing and turning, spinning and swaying- it made me dizzy. It was dark again. The battle unreeling my eyelids from one another revealed a haze of figures that puzzled me. A cocoon of blankets held me tight, sending my senses a rush of protection- yet some level of helplessness. The beaming rays of sun peek through the curtains, burning my eyes. Voices chirped like birds at the crack of dawn- squeaking loudly of our experiences and reliving the night. No matter how tight my eyes shut closed and no matter how fast my brain ran in circles, searching my files, looking for answers, the only conclusion resolved ended with the prescription of an Advil. The previous night appeared in my vision as a cloudy blur; not even one story told sparked a flame of remembrance. All I could do at this point would be to take their word; I guess I had a good time.

14 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the title of your blog. Secondly, I loved this story. There was emotion and truth behind every word and I could really feel your voice coming through. The only thing that I would fix was that a couple times some verb-tenses switched around, but other than that, really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I really liked your story! Throughout, you had great diction and imagery--I love it! Like Taylor said, the only thing that you could maybe change was some of the verb tenses, but other than that it was great! I also like how truthful the story is, and how every highschool student can relate to the topic and really understand the feelings of the character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, why weren't you in honors like in middle school?! This is so beautifully crafted, and your voice really shone through, alone with the emotions that followed each word like Taylor said. However I did notice some of those verb tenses that switched around, but overall really easy to relate to and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sentence fluency and the way you make the reader think throughout your short story is remarkable. You have a talent for writing and constructed a very nice piece. Although make sure to watch verb tenses and punctuation. Otherwise great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a good story Amanda. I absolutely loved the last sentence. It wrapped everything up so well and just perfectly ended a great story. All I would say to fix is a few grammar and verb things, but otherwise it was great! Your voice was easy to hear and I could tell you had a lot of emotion with this. Great job(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your imagery and the emotion you put into this really made the reader really get into the story. Your voice comes through very strong to give this piece a very relate able effect. One suggestion that I would have is to watch some of the verb tenses but overall you did an amazing job on capturing the idea of this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay so I've been reading so many short stories during the past hour and yours woke me up. Your story wasn't just words that sounded good together (which they did) or the beautifully crafted imagery (which you had) but there was a real, true meaning that gave me shivers behind your words. My favorite was when you said, "A number of statues stroll from room to room, blank expressions drawn across their mouths" I loved that!! I can't think of anything I would change other than sentence structure in the beginning but that doesn't even matter because your story was too good to even notice that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. This was honestly one of the best short stories that I have read. I loved how well put the story was and you did a good job with show don't tell. Overall i didn't see much that needed improving except for like what the others said. Your story really got me thinking! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly, when I went to your blog to read your story, I guess I kind of prejudged and was prepared to be disappointed. But this was actually really good. You use a variety of ways of crafting sentences as well as diction to create that blurred reality in the experience of a party, kind of spinning the reader into a trance. At the same time you switch between present and past tense which makes it a little hard to follow...but overall I think it captured exactly what you meant to describe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your introduction was really catching, and it really made me want to read more right away. The entire time I was picturing this story as a movie in my head, which means that you illustrated a mental picture very clearly. Your overall defense mechanism was really effective as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was so good Amanda! Throughout the entire story I could really hear your voice through your words and I think your personal connection to it really made your story that much better! I loved the ending and your descriptions of everything. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thisisgreat.Thisisgreat.Thisisgreat! Amanada, this was so good! I loved reading this and this is one of my favorites that I've read! I loved the way you used your defense mechanism and the wording was spot on! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Job Amanda! I remember reading your story in class and you have added so much to it which makes it that much better! You have well crafted sentences and good word choice! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your word choice was amazing. Nothing sounded awkward at all, and you had great word flow. Its something a lot of people can relate to and it definitley kept me reading. Good job Amanda!! :)

    ReplyDelete